The plot of 1000 sqm, with a gentle slope is located in Emporio of Santorini island.
The building program of the complex included two independent Residences, one two-storey with a basement of 116 sqm and a ground floor of 58 sqm, integrated in a single volume. The owners wanted to include a small chapel with a bell tower as a separate building in close relationship to the inner courtyard.
The East orientation of the chapel sanctuary influenced the arrangement of the building volumes of the complex, which has a view SW and SE to Emporio and to the sea, while the NE view is towards a complex of mountains. Located on the Community Road there are two separate entrances and two outdoor parking spaces, one for each residence.
Morphologically the building is covered partly with vaults and partly with flat roofs. It fits harmoniously into the landscaped environment formed by layered upgrades which are defined by reinforced concrete walls. The morphological elements such as vaults, arched patios and openings are all prevailing traditional architecture elements of the island.
Planting plays an exceptional role in enhancing the surrounding environment of the complex. It highlights the close relationship of the islandic everyday life with nature and creates a warm setting that embrace both the owners and their visitors as well.
Emporio, Santorini Island